When you have made changes to a draft / working version of a program, and these changes have been fully tested, and you want to push these changes live, follow the steps below.
Step 1 - Create new version by saving copy of draft version
(See screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zJ8dv-EGJpHFS1pzSTGEV-tWBv4w5E9A/view)
Make a copy of the draft version of the program and save it as the next version of the program. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the program in the Clevertar portal. By default you will be taken to the dashboard.
- In the left-hand vertical menu, select 'Configuration'. This is depicted as a toolkit in the menu.
- Underneath the 'Virtual Human Details', select 'Create a Backup'. When asked to confirm, select 'Yes'.
- By default, the name of the 'Virtual Human' will be the same as the program you just copied, with the current date and time appended. Rename this new program as desired. You may wish to keep the date and time in the program name to easily see when the program was created.
- Edit the 'Description' field as desired.
- Select 'Create'.
Step 2 (if applicable) - Set voice to synthetic
(See screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gf4PwZ2GwsPDA6xK7BczZoWRUDCb4Yac/view)
If the program uses natural voice, and the voice files for the updates made in the draft version haven't been generated yet, you may want to change your program to synthetic voice until the new voice files are generated. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the live program in the Clevertar portal. By default you will be taken to the dashboard.
- In the left-hand vertical menu, select 'Widget Profiles'. This is depicted as a star in the menu.
- Select the 'Edit profile' button on the live profile.
- Under 'Profile Detail', select 'Character'.
- Under 'Voice Type', change the setting from 'Audio Files' to a synthetic voice of your choice. Popular choices are 'Microsoft - Australia 2' and 'Microsoft (Neural) - English (Australia)'.
- When the voice files for the updates made for the new version have been generated, change the 'Voice Type' back to 'Audio Files', ensuring that the URL for the voice files is correct.
Step 3 - Move live widget profile to new version
(See screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mirdpRrvEimnS9z8D81sa8-pBCrDGFk3/view)
In the current live program, move the live widget profile (aka the 'access code') to the new program you have just created. Then, if needed, rename the original program to remove any reference to it being 'Live', and rename the new program to add a reference to it being 'Live'. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the widget profile of the live program in the Clevertar portal.
- At the bottom of the window, select 'Connect to a different Virtual Human'. When asked to confirm, select 'Yes'.
- In the pop-up window with the header 'Move Profile', select the new program that you want to make live from the dropdown menu.
- Select ''Move now'.
- The live profile will now have been moved to the new program. Your live chatbot will now be based on the new program.
- The profile will have disappeared from the 'Widget Profiles' page in the previous live program.
- Now, in the left-hand menu, select 'Configuration' again, and then 'Edit Details', and rename the program to remove any reference to it being 'Live' (if needed). Select 'Update'.
- Open your new live program, go to 'Configuration' and rename the program to add a reference to it being 'Live'.
Step 4 - Export JSON and save as backup
(See screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fdDpBIQ7lF6UvhFUU6-UZ_mSZ2NDbtbi/view)
Export the JSON of the new live version of the program and save it in a shared folder location. This is to ensure there are backups of each live program. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the 'Configuration' page of the new live program, select 'Export Virtual Human'.
- A JSON file for the program will be downloaded to your computer.
- Save the file in a shared folder location.
Step 5 - Create new draft version by saving copy of live version
(See screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Tb2cLy5A_eXcCyMU0NTj1CD4q3FeSlQ/view)
Make a copy of the new live program and save it as the draft / working program for the next version. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the 'Configuration' page of the new live program, select 'Create a Backup'.
- In the 'Clone Program' pop-up window that appears, rename the 'Virtual Human' as desired, being sure to remove any reference to it being 'Live'. It is best to include the word 'draft' or 'working' (or similar) in the title, to make it clear that it is a draft.
- Select 'Create'.
- Your new draft version is now ready for you to make updates to, ready for the next release.
- It is good practice to backup the draft version regularly by exporting the JSON and saving it in a shared folder location (as in Step 4).
Step 6 (if applicable) - Perform group management in old Clevertar portal
If needed, open the old Clevertar portal, and move the previous program version to the appropriate group (e.g. 'Previous Versions').
The old Clevertar portal can be accessed by replacing the word 'portal' with 'web' in the website URL (e.g. 'https://my.clevertar.com/web').
The screencast below shows the steps required to move a program from one group to another. The program being moved in this example is called 'My First Agent'.
Step 7 - Inform your team
It is good practice to inform your team that a new version of a program has been made live.